Monday, August 20, 2012

Game On Bat Rep 1: Tau vs Blood Guard

2000 points 
We’re running the Feast of Blades Missions
The big thing is I brought a 2000 point double force org chart.  Everyone else brought a 1999+1 list even though it was a 2000 point official event.  12 Troops choices?  Hell yeah!

Game 1 vs Mike
Scenario: Vanguard Strike
Primary: Kill Points
Secondary: Table Quarters

Blood Guard (ie Blood Angels with Guard Allies)
2x Land Raiders with Tact Squads
Multiple Guard Squads with a pile of Auto cannons and a librarian for the reroll
Storm Raven with 5x Terminators
Aegis Defense Line


Deployment
I put my Tau back far enough to tap his gunlines and my broadsides are in cover with good overlapping arcs of fire.  My HQs are safely nestled in cover for a 2+ and I've a Kroot screen out front with the remaining units behind him.


He’s pressed forward against the diagonal line so his auto cannons can reach.
The Tau have a longer range than the Guard so I deploy as shown.
In fact he’s so far forward I can put my Kroot squad behind him!



Mike goes first
Turn 1
He starts moving his guard squads forward and moves the Land Raider out of cover to deal with the Kroot who otherwise would cripple the mortar squads.  The other land raider moves forward towards my gun lines.

The landraider kills 5 Kroot and the guard line kills a few more.

Move the Ethereal up, and I start the 5 remaining back field Kroot towards the Autocannons.

I lay into the Landraider with broadsides and kill it popping out a Termy Librarian with SS/Th and his squad.  The back row FW pop off everyone but the Libby.  I plink down some more of the advancing Guard.

I charge my Ethereal at the Guard Squad who gun him down and make all my saves super charging the army.  Lasgun shot to the head for the greater good!

Turn 2
Mike finishes off the Kroot and his Storm Raven comes in and takes some shots killing a BS Team Shield drone.  His guard units continue to walk into a hail of fire taking heavy casualties.
His Termy-Libby declares assault and dies spectacularly.

Now all I've done, aside from murder my HQ in cold blood and lose some Kroot is stand there an shoot.  It works well with all those markerlights and rerollable "1's."

The land raider comes out of cover again and the Broadsides pop it pinning the Squad inside as the explosion kills 2 of them.  The Stormraven gets immobilized and locked speed.  Most of his units have gone to ground for a better save.

Turn 3
The termies exit the Stormraven before it leaves the board and scatter 7 inches away towards the board edge and no where near my army.
The broadsides tear through the 2 SS/TH upfront and the FW take out 2 of the Claws before returning to picking off the guard.  All the guard squads that had been heading towards me are dead.  His landraiders are toast.  The termies are well out of assault distance and all I’ve lost are some Kroot.

He surrenders.

Max points.

1 comment:

  1. The result of this match is not a surprise at all. Know that if you play Mike again, he'll bring the exact same list. He might even try the exact same tactics.

    Broadsides and Land Raiders, can they ever get along? :)

    ReplyDelete