Monday, August 20, 2012

Game On- Game 2: Ork-Guard

At lunch Bill and I chat, the only match we don’t want is each other.
Thus of course:

Game 2 vs Bill
Dawn of War
Primary: Area Control
Secondary:  Objectives
Ork+Guard
BikerNobz
Colossus, Manticore, 3x Chimera

On the Strategic Chart I roll “Gain Stealth in Ruins” the entire table is made of ruins.  This wins me the game.

The terrain is: a big tower in the center, two towers on my side with one in the middle back.
Cathedral-ruins in all 4 quarters.   A very symmetrical ruin laden table.


I put one of the Kroot squads as close to his parking lot of Tanks as I can to keep his switching fire, he knows if he focuses the wrong way it’s 30 attacks on rear armor.

Bill has the Bikerz on my left and the parking lot of tanks on the right.
(I forgot to take pictures at this point)

I set up ShadowSun and the Ethereal behind a tower out of LOS.

It’s 2 squads of 9 firewarriors on either side of them them with a pathfinder team on the left.
A Broadside team is in the cathedral ruins to the left, right and center.  Firewarriors are in the left and rightside ruins with a devilfish on either side so 2 of the 6 man teams can embark after the shooting stops.

Turn 1
Bill unleashes hell as templates rain from the sky and the Bikers get closer ready for turn 2 assault.  Kroot die as does a shield drone.

I start peppering the Bikers with fire. “Look out Sir!” and FNP mean the few wounds are passed around.  I move my Firewarriors to screen the HQ Combo and limit assault ability.
My Ethereal charges the Bikerz, dies and the Army Super Charges.

Turn 2
More templates, some FW are lost, and another drone gets popped.  Again the Stealth Ruins are amazing.  The Bikers move in and fall 2 inches short of the assault after killing most of a squad.
A vendetta arrives and takes out some more Firewarriors.

The Boss with a 6 toughness is incredibly hard to take out as I can’t one shot him with a Railgun.
I unleash everything on the Bikerz.  If I get multiassaulted which is likely as I’m clumped up, he wins that turn.  

As he moved in between ruins towards my Firewarriors with the Boss & Bikerz he presents the side bikers to clear close shots from the broadsides.  The Pathfinders light the Biker up so I can open up with all the BS weapons.  ShadowSun leaps out and inflicts 2 wounds.  The broadsides open up with Rails and Missile from both sides thinning down the numbers.  I put in a seeker missile for good measure. The horde of Firewarriors finish them off.

Turn 3
More Pie Plates OF DOOM! from Bill and some back and forth with troops.  The other vendetta and Ork fighter show up at this point.  He thins out some of troops by a couple of heads.
The firewarriors start advancing on the objectives as my Broadsides, freed up from the Death-Star get Markerlight support from the pathfinders to start taking out tanks.  

I spackled most of the tanks except the Manticore which only has 1 shot left at this point.  My firewarriors begin to drop his IG Troops and the left and right flank devilfish fill with FW and start moving up

Turn 4
The vendettas/Ork jet lower squad size for the Firewarriors and the Broadsides are still fine.  The manticore is empty.
My Firewarriors march towards the objectives and the Devilfish moves to quarters.  Then I pop the remaining tank with Broadsides and take out the 2 flyers.  The Firewarriors finish off the Guard Troops and with only a Colussus left on the board Bill surrenders.

Max Points.

1 comment:

  1. A tournament cannot be won without some luck. Definitely sounds like you made all the right moves, but those Nob Bikerz are hella legit.

    ReplyDelete