Monday, August 20, 2012

Game On: Game 3 Grey Knight-Crons

Game 3 Vs Dan
Vanguard Strike
This would get repetitive so I’ll summarize this one.
I have 58 points, he has 54 by this point
Primary: Objectives
Secondary: Kill points
Grey Knights With Necrons.

It’s a Draigo Paladin death star with Corteaz.
3 Dreadnoughts.
3 Transports with 3, 3 and 4 guys in them.
The Necron Flyer with some Deathmarks and the HQ.


Deployment:
It's a sparse terrain table.  I have a crater to stick Shadowsun & Ethereal in.

On my side I have a tiny crater, a mini farm house and a fallen pillar for cover.  The center of the table has a house as does my front left.  He's got a grave yard on his side.  The objectives are 1 in the center 1 in each deployment zone and 2 diagonally from the center.  There is a forest next to the house on my right.

I string out my gunline to cover the objectives as best I can.  The HQ takes cover and my broadsides have a decent fire arc.  It's Grey Knights, he has a 24 inch fire reach.  I have 72 to 30.  He's got to come to me if he wants to win.

I seize, Corteaz makes me reroll.  I do not seize twice.

Turn 1.  
He pops my empty transports and focuses on shooting my troops, Kroot are murdered.
I don’t think he understood how many Troops I had.  Corteaz perils twice and takes 2 wounds.

I get my Ethereal to charge the Draigo-star and he gets overwatched into Oblivion.  The army supercharges!

Summary
I shoot the death star, about 1000 shots into it.  Dan-Draigo's Paladins only takes a wound on a “1” from Firewarriors and can FNP most of that away and “Look out Sir!” them around.
For 3 turns I pile on wounds that get parceled around and FNP.  Everything is going into this! 

If I can break Draigo’s Paladins I will win.  If Draigo closes to assault he wins.  It’s that simple.
I ignore the Dreadnoughts who start taking out my troops strung out on the on the right.

Markerlights on the Paladins, broadsides open up first rail and missiles, rapid fire next, single shot Firewarriors after that.  The railguns and missile eventually finish off all the Paladins on the 4 turn.

*Having fought Bill’s army way vital to this match as I refined the cracking of a deathstar.  And Bikerz aren’t as bad as Draigo.

Turn 3
His Necron flyer showed up (unless it was turn 2, it’d been a long day.)  I ignore because it’s annoying with the Tesla, not deadly to my entire army like the Paladins.

The Necrons pop up and he assaults.  Overwatch drops some punks.

Interesting thing, the Leadership manipulation was vital for this as I’d use the Squad’s leadership and they have a better Initiative than the ‘Cron so I could run away and regroup off Shadowsun.

Shadowsun also melta’d the Cron HQ down three times, but the Cron got up twice making me melta it over and over again.

Turn 4
Finish off the Apothecary and Corteaz.  It also saw me start running Firewarriors towards the objectives.

Turn 5
The Cron are down, Draigo’s Paladins are vapor and my broadsides start hitting the transports and Dreads.  Also it’s night fighting.  Bad for him and his dreads, good for the Blacksun filters on the Broadside and the markerlights!

Turn 6
We go into 6.  He’s got 2 troops on the objective in the back field, 1 in the center and 3 more near the building in the center.  I blow up his transport and take out 1 more guy.  Broadsides lay into the troops who go to ground for a 2 up.  My Firewarriors run and make it to the two on my side of the board.

I can’t take out his last Dread nor can I finish off his last 1 guy in the central building nor the 2 outside of it.

It ends.  I would have tabled him in 7.

However, the center objective was worth 1, the others worth 2.  I knew that.  Dan didn’t.  It was in the packet and in the rules but it’d been a long day.

I win primary.  He gets secondary by 2 units.  I get all but 1 bonus point.

Victory: For the Greater GOOD!

1 comment:

  1. It always amazes me in a tournament how the lesson of a previous match apply directly to the day's last match. In your case, anti-Death Star FTW. That Draigo squad is completely ridiculous... It's like a good version of Fateweaver. :P

    ReplyDelete